Everyone loves bread. You can have it lunch or dinner. You could also just eat some in bits and pieces throughout the day.
Baking bread need not always be time consuming and labor-intensive. With readily available ingredients you can easily make bread at home. Once you go through the recipes I’m going to share with you, you’ll definitely bid goodbye to store-bought bread and be a home bread baker for life!
American Sandwich Bread
Also known as White Bread, this recipe is pretty quick to execute. Whether it’s for a breakfast sandwich or a teatime snack, classic sandwich bread is a must-have baked good in all houses. In two and a half hours, you can make a loaf of this bread.
- All-purpose flour – 4 cups
- Warm whole milk – 1 cup
- Unsalted, melted butter – 2 tablespoons
- Warm water – ¼ cup
- Honey – 3 tablespoons
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Instant yeast – 2½ teaspoons
- Have an oven preheated to 200°.
- In a mixer bowl fitted with a dough hook, put in 3½ cups of the flour along with the salt. Mix water, milk, butter, honey and yeast in a cup. Turn on the mixer and add the liquid mixture. Keep mixing until the dough appears smooth.
- Once done, empty the dough onto a plain surface. Knead the dough well.
- Transfer the dough into a bowl and cover it with cling film. Place in the preheated oven until the dough rises to about double its size (40-50 minutes).
- Flatten the dough and roll into a cylinder. Place it seam-side down in a greased loaf pan. Cover the pan with cling film and place in a warm area until the dough doubles up in size (20-30 minutes).
- In your oven, place one oven rack at the bottom and another in the middle. Heat the oven to 350°. Prop a baking pan on the bottom rack and pour two cups of boiling water into the pan. Now set the loaf in the middle rack. Set an instant-read thermometer into the center of the loaf, at an angle from the short end, a bit above the pan’s rim.
- Bake until the temperature on the thermometer reads 195° (40-50 minutes). Transfer the bread to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature.
- Slice the loaf. It’s all set to serve and eat!
Classic Banana Bread
Who doesn’t love themselves some banana bread? Been thinking of throwing away those overripe bananas sitting on your kitchen counter? Hold on. Put the super ripe bananas to use by baking a loaf of yummy banana bread
Remember to choose super-ripe fruit for the most intense flavor and for a smooth texture that blends easily.
- All-purpose flour – 2 cups
- Baking soda – ¾ teaspoon
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Softened butter – ¼ cup
- Eggs – 2
- Ripe, mashed bananas – 1½ cups
- Plain, low fat yoghurt – ⅓ cup
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, blend the sugar and butter. Add eggs, one at time, and beat well with a whisk.
- To this mixture, add the mashed banana, vanilla extract and yoghurt. Beat well till blended thoroughly.
- Transfer this mixture to a mixer. Add the flour and mix at low speed, just till it’s moist.
- Pour the batter that is formed into a bread loaf pan (of size 8½ x 4½ inch). Remember to have coated the pan with cooking spray or a little bit of oil. Insert a wooden pick into the center of the loaf.
- Put the filled pan into the oven and bake at 350°. Bake for an hour or until the wooden pick comes out clean.
- Pull out the pan from the oven and cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
And there you go! Two super easy and quick breads you can make at home. These are perfect for on-the-go breakfast, teatime or a holiday gift. So what are you waiting for? Go on and make yourself some delectable loaves of bread.